Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Eaves to transfer

University of Connecticut freshman forward Ben Eaves announced Tuesday afternoon that he is leaving the program and plans to transfer to another school.

Eaves, of Lancashire, England, appeared in 11 games this season for the Huskies and scored one point. He committed to UConn after playing one year at Worcester (Mass.) Academy.

Eaves will continue to attend classes and work out with the team. He has been in contact with some schools but it is still early in the process.

"Ben and I met this week and he let me know that he has decided to continue his college career at another institution," Huskies coach Jim Calhoun said in a statement. "While I am sad to see Ben leave, I completely understand his feelings and will do everything I can to help him transfer to a school where he can enjoy the best experience for him as a student and as a basketball player. I wish him nothing but good luck in the future."

Eaves' departure gives UConn an available scholarship. Anthony McClain, a 7-foot high school senior from National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Md., has been the focus of the coaching staff's recruiting efforts this winter. Marcus Thornton, a junior college guard from Kilgore (Tx.) College, is also being considered even though sources said he is leaning toward Louisiana State. Also, guard Donnell Beverly from Leuzinger (Calif.) High School outside of Los Angeles, is being considered by the coaching staff.

"I have really enjoyed my year here at Connecticut and this has been a tough decision for me and my family to make," said Eaves in a statement. "I am excited about what is in store for me in the future and appreciate that the year here at UConn has made me a better player and person. I look forward to finding a school in the next several weeks that will help me continue my college experience, both as a student and as an athlete. Until then, I will continue to work hard here in the classroom and finish the semester strong."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home