Thursday, October 30, 2008

In Case You Cared ...

Some musings while home alone on a day off, finding myself strangely addicted to watching Mike Francesa talk on television:

***Briefly spoke with the elusive Durand Scott today. He was in a doctor's office so he wasn't very conversational, but he did confirm that the final three schools on his list are UConn, Miami and Pittsburgh. He also claimed he had no idea when he would make his final decision.

***It's obvious why the Phillies beat the Rays in the World Series. Philadelphia had just one Rhode Islander while the Rays had two
(That's Phillies first base coach Davey Lopes, an East Providence native, and Rays' outfielder Rocco Baldelli and pitcher Dan Wheeler, respectively). As a native Rhode Islander myself, I can say that. Actually, I covered while he was at Bishop Hendricken High in Warwick, R.I., and you won't meet a better guy. Very happy to see he got to contribute to the Rays' success this season, considering the myriad physical ailments he's had. Bet you didn't know he was offered a scholarship to play hoops at Providence and to play volleyball (volleyball!) at UCLA, as well as to play baseball at Wake Forest.

***The NBA season started this week. Can't we just fast-forward to June, when David Stern orchestrates a Celtics-Lakers rematch?
If David Stern ran MLB, I'm convinced we would have somehow gotten a Cubs-Red Sox World Series this year.

***Recently got a Facebook account, at my wife's urging. Felt a little silly about it, since I always believed this was the realm of high school and college kids. However, it's a pretty good resource, and it's helped me re-establish communication with several old friends already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home