Saturday, January 31, 2009

Charles No Longer in Charge

UConn sophomore center Charles Okwandu has been declared academically ineligible and will not see game action for the rest of this season, the school announced this morning.

Okwandu will be permitted to practice with the team but will not suit up for games or be permitted to travel with the team.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to continue to be a part of the team while I re-focus on my academics,” said Okwandu. “I know with hard work and the support of my coaches and teammates that I will be successful in the classroom and be able to rejoin the team next season.”

“I know that this year has been a challenge for Charles, as it is for many college students,” said Calhoun. “We are 100% supportive of Charles as he focuses on his primary goal of attaining a UConn education.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,

Is Charles on a scholarship? If so does this mean that it is now pulled and frees up one for an incoming frosh?

11:37 AM 
Blogger David Borges said...

Charles is on scholarship, but it's not going to be pulled. They're apparently hoping he gets things together academically so that he's able to play next season.

8:48 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home