Saturday, February 14, 2009

Dyson Speaks

Greetings from Newark, home of the nation's most ridiculous airport.

We met with Jerome Dyson about 45 minutes ago, and here's what he had to say:

(on the injury itself)
At halftime, I took a few steps on it. It felt alright, then that third step there was a lot of pain. I just tried to wait it out, because they said a bone bruise could take a while. Once I got up the next morning, I felt like it was more than just a bone bruise. I felt a lot of pain and my knee was starting to swell up.

(on whether he'll come back this season if the meniscus can't be repaired and only cleaned out)
I'm definitely looking to the future. I kind of want a career out of this, so I don't want to come back as fast as I can. If they can repair, that's what I want them to do. That would be the best thing for me in the long run ... It will be a lot of wear and tear on my body if they do clean it out, because I'll have no meniscus there. I want them to go in and repair for the long run.

(on UConn's chances without him the rest of the way)
We're still the No. 1 team in the nation, we're still a great team. More people just have to step up. I have faith in my teammates, I know how good they are. I'm sure it will be no problem with me out ... I know Craig's going to step up, he stepped up last year.

(on his reaction to getting the news of the MRI on Thursday)
It was a little emotional. It's like every time I start off with a good season, something always pulls me back down. My teammates came by to let me know that it was going to be alright and that they were with me.

(on how it happened)
They set a double screen and I was trying to get through it … I tried to go around the side of it, so when I planted my knee to turn, I kind of twisted it.

(on whether he was playing the best basketball of his life this season)
I felt like I was playing the type of basketball they wanted me to play. There were some (aspects) of my mid-range (game) I had to work on, but I was passing the ball great, I was scoring and getting my teammates involved. I felt like it was a good season, it's too bad it had to end.

(on whether he feels he's missed out on a great opportunity this season)
I feel like the team won't be as good as it is now next year. I feel like we had a real good chance of going all the way. I still feel that way, but I would like to be a part of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home