Thursday, April 09, 2009

Calhoun Will Return Next Season

With rumors and reports of his potential retirement in the air -- and with recruits wondering whether or not this would be the case -- UConn has released the following, announcing that Jim Calhoun will be back on the sidelines next season:

University of Connecticut head men’s basketball coach Jim Calhoun will return for the 2009-10 season, it was announced by the school Thursday.

“It is my full intention to return for the 2009-10 season,” said Calhoun. “I look forward to coaching next season and to continuing as the head coach at Connecticut into the future. In many ways, the journey of this past season has made me realize how much I love coaching this game, how much I love my kids and how much I enjoy being at Connecticut.”

“I am very excited that Coach Calhoun will continue as our head men’s basketball coach,” said UConn Director of Athletics Jeffrey Hathaway. “We look forward to continued success in our men’s basketball program for years to come under the leadership of our Hall of Fame coach.”

Calhoun completed his 23 rd season at UConn in 2008-09, his 37 th year as a collegiate head coach. He has compiled a career record of 805-342 and is No. 6 all-time in NCAA Division I Basketball history with his 805 career wins. He has a record of 557-205 in his 23 seasons at Connecticut. Coach Calhoun led the Huskies to the 2009 NCAA Final Four, the program’s third trip to the Final Four, and guided UConn to the 2004 and 1999 NCAA National Championship. He was a 2005 inductee into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

More to come ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home