Tuesday, February 19, 2008

DeFeating DePaul ... barely

Some notes & quotes from UConn's latest come-from-behind nail-biting win, this time a 65-60 job over DePaul.

**At this point, Jim Calhoun has no plans on changing his starting lineup once Jerome Dyson returns from suspension. Not with the way Craig Austrie has been playing lately.
"I don't know what's going to change that," said the coach. "We won 10 in a row, I'm not going to fool with it. If we went on a couple-game losing streak, I'd think about changing it. Otherwise, there's no sense in changing. We have a player coming back in one more game I think it is, two more, I'm not even sure … he'll have to get back in the rotation like everybody else."

**Hasheem Thabeet gave credit to assistant coach Patrick Sellers, who works with the team's big men, for his 16-point performance.
"Coach Sellers told us, the more you present yourself, the more touches you'll be able to get. I was presenting myself pretty well tonight and I got so many touches. I think I'm getting better every day, and I'm going to keep making those moves. I worked a lot in practice, I think I'm getting better making those moves."

**Speaking of Sellers, he'll be down in Atlanta on Tuesday to watch 6-foot-9 center Derrick Favors, the top-rated Class of 2009 center according to scout.com, and 6-7 Wesley Witherspoon, who is the web site's 12th-rated small forward in the Class of 2008.

**DePaul coach Jerry Wainwright referred to the Dyson situation: "Sometimes -- and I mean no disrespect to the kid who's suspended, all kids make mistakes – but there is addition through subtraction.
He also thinks A.J. Price is the MVP of the Big East.

**The last time UConn had come back from more than a 13-point deficit to win was on Jan. 7, 2006, when they rallied from 14 down to beat LSU 67-66 in Hartford.

**Jeff Adrien scored 10 of his 12 points in the second half and is now two points short of 1,000 for his career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home