Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Under the Assumption
Some tidbits from Wednesday's media availability with Jim Calhoun and the UConn Huskies, prior to their exhibition opener Thursday night against Division 2 Assumption in Storrs:
- Calhoun wants to establish a set rotation early this season, something the Huskies didn't do last year as they searched for an identity virtually the whole season.
- The starting five vs. Assumption figures to be Jerome Dyson at point guard, Craig Austrie at the two, Stanley Robinson at the three, Jeff Adrien at power forward and Hasheem Thabeet at center.
- Calhoun believes Austrie is in a good place right now, and that he could be the Huskies' best outside shooter and second-best defensive player (after Dyson).
- Dyson is suffering from back spasms after getting elbowed in the back during a one-on-one box-out drill in Tuesday's practice, but he sais he'll "definitely" be ready to play on Thursday.
- Curtis Kelly has been UConn's leading scorer in the preseason. According to Adrien, Kelly is the team's most improved player.
- Calhoun said Thabeet has improved "200 percent" over the past year.
- The coach promised UConn won't "win, 51-7 and run up the score" on the Greyhounds.
- Calhoun actually played against Assumption coach Serge DeBari when DeBari was at Assumption and Calhoun was playing for AIC.